|13948||Negotiate an agreement or deal in an authentic work situation||5||4|
The learner will be taught to explain the need for negotiation skills in business; the steps in the negotiation process; apply the steps in the negotiation process to an authentic situation, and explain strategies that could be used in negotiation.
Learners should be competent in Communication and Mathematical Literacy at NQF Level 3
This unit standard forms part of a qualification for managers of small businesses and junior managers including team leaders, supervisors and first line managers, of business units in larger organisations. It would be thus useful for any employee who is involved in situations where negotiation skills are required.
The learner will:
- Understand the need for negotiation skills in a business
- Be able to explain the steps in the negotiating process including preparation, presentation, probing, bargaining and closing
- Understand why negotiations fail and what negotiators can do to rectify this
- Be able to apply negotiation skills in the workplace including drawing up and presenting a proposal with a clear indication of what is and what is not on the table for a selected scenario
- Ask questions for clarification and explanation
- Analyse demands of the other party and propose a concession for a selected scenario
- Be able to close the negotiation where types of closure include, but are not limited to, concession close, summary close, adjournment close, or-else close and either-or close.
- Explain strategies used in negotiation including tactics to delay negotiation and methods to break a deadlock.
Will be conducted during the workshop by means of observation of a variety of forms of oral communication.
On completion of the workshop the learner will have to prepare and present an oral presentation and submit a portfolio for assessment.
Once a learner has been declared competent, his/her results are forwarded to the relevant SETA for endorsement. A nationally recognised certificate will be issued.
Learners will be able to:
- Explaining the need for negotiation skills in business.
- Explaining the steps in the negotiation process.
- Applying the steps in the negotiation process to an authentic situation.
- Explaining strategies that could be used in negotiation